In my early newb health journey days I made sweet fruit and yogurt smoothies.
I eventually needed something more substantial and wanted a heartier dairy-free option. I got into a nut milk based shake mode. But I eventually hit a wall with nuts and their high omega-6 fatty acid content (PUFAs.)
In fact, all seed-based milks are a no go for me these days.
I went years without a truly satisfying fail-safe shake recipe that worked for me...😢
Until I figured out I could combine 3 ingredients that I have since fallen in love with. No dairy (I think dairy is vey nutritious, I just don't tolerate the casein, but hope to biohack my way back to dairy one day!), just some straight up ancestral carbs, proteins and herbs for the ancient biohacker that needs high quality fuel without the allergens or anti-nutrients but with all the healthy fats, smooth-burning carbs, gut-healing proteins, and performance-boosting adaptogens.
My mouthwatering ice cold thicc shake has 3 categories of nutrition you may have never had in a shake or smoothie before, or at least not all 3 combined!
1. Ancestral guilt-free smooth whole food carbs! In this case: cooked winter squash (or alternatively sweet potatoes.) If I could rewind time back to when I was eating keto, I would not have gone keto. I would have eaten carbs like butternut squash most days as I do now and I believe that would have been far healthier and made me metabolically fit without the side effects I have from sugary sweeteners.
2. Bone broth protein powder. Most bone broth protein powders (from beef or chicken) are about 80% collagen aminos and 15% muscle protein aminos and have a nutty flavor and a slightly thickening quality (not nearly as thickening as gelatin powder.) If whey protein powder works for you, you may also use that instead. I don't think that seed-based protein powders are healthful for most people. "Plant-based" convenience foods are often industrial gut bombs and biologically inappropriate for human consumption.
3. Adaptogen extracts. Our line of Longevity Power adaptogen extract blends not only turn this shake into mood and cognitive function + boundless endurance octane fuel, they contribute a deeply satisfying mocha malty flavor. Most folk would guess this shake is loaded with chocolate and espresso but in fact contains none and is caffeine free for long burning energy with zero crash.
This feast of a snack, dessert or meal in frosty shake form helps you:
🏋️ Increase mental & physical endurance with no crash
🥩 Restore your body's essential nutrient levels & improve metabolic function
💆 Optimize hormone levels, calm nerves, improve sleep & build resiliency to stress
🧠 Boost mood, focus & cognitive function
🦠 Strengthen your state of wellness & immune health
💪 Fuel your system with smooth-burning ancestral fats, proteins and carbs without over-restriction
🤩 Feel better than ever!
👨👩👧👦 Enjoy sharing high-quality nutrition with loved ones who demand it taste really good and not weird
Christian's Ancestral Adaptogen Frosty Shake Recipe
Place in a high speed blender:
- 3/4 cup fully cooked (steamed or baked) skinned and seeded winter squash (butternut, honeynut, kabocha, delicata, acorn, or pumpkin) or fully cooked skinned sweet potato/yam
- 1-2 tablespoons tallow (my favorite), butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pure warm water
- Completely Optional: 1 pasture-raised egg yolk (I don't use this for this recipe, but it does add nutrition and help emulsify the fat)
Blend into puree. Then add:
- 3/4 cup bone broth protein powder (I love beef bone broth protein powders available on Amazon) or whey protein powder
- 3-5 cups ice cubes
- 2-4 teaspoons Longevity Power Longevity Adaptogens
- 2-4 teaspoons Longevity Power Epic Maca
- 2-4 teaspoons Longevity Power Epic Mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Longevity Power Epic Reishi
- 1/2 teaspoon or up to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon or up to 2 teaspoons stevia extract powder or monkfruit extract powder, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Blend on high until fully blended milk shake texture. May require tamper wand that usually comes with a high speed blender.
Serve in any mug or jar. Wide straws are fun (though it is thick to suck through!) Share with a fellow wellness seeker or your family! Cheers!
Yours in primal wellbeing mastery!🔥